The History Of Haremyres
Compiled and written by Hugh Begg,
secretary and treasurer 1947 - 1961,
President 1963 - 1964
When I was asked to write the history
of the Haremyres Curling Club
I knew I had a difficult task.
Having been secretary
for a number of years
I knew that the oldest minute book
available was number three.
This records the
27th Annual General Meeting
which was held in the
Montgomerie Arms Hotel
7th September 1898.
This would date the
first Annual General Meeting to 1872
although there would have been
preliminary meetings prior to this
to decide upon a site,
would be interested in joining
and to appoint a secretary
and other officials.
No club minutes being available from 1872 till 7th September 1898
I obtained or had access to all the Royal Caledonian Curling Club Annuals.
No mention is made of the Haremyres Club from 1872
untill the 1881 annual meeting of the R.C.C. Club
which record's that the Haremyres Club had been admitted
to membership since that meeting.
The annuals only record the officials' names
the number of regular members and occasional members.
The following is the record in the R.C.C.C. 1881-82 Annual:
Patron: Lt-Colonel Forrest
President: James Strang
Vice:- President: Robert Granger
Representative Members: R.G. Tennant and Andrew Strang
Chaplain: Rev. A.R.Storry
Secretary and Treasurer: Andrew Strang
22 Regular and 59 Occasional Members.
Lt-Colonel Forrest was the Laird of Haremyres.
James Strang of the Peel Thorntonhall.
Robert Granger of East Kilbride
Rev. A. R. Storry was the Minister at Carmunnock.
Andrew Strang was James Strang's son.
It can be assumed that James Strang was the original President
and held office till 1883 when James Osborne was appointed.
On the same assumption Andrew Strang was Secretary and Treasurer till 1889
when William Strang of Bosfield was appointed.
From what I learned from older persons when I was a boy and onwards
and from my close association with quite a number of the members themselves
my grandfather was the secretary from 1895 untill 1915.
The following is as near an accurate record
of the Haremyres Curling Club as possible.
The Haremyres Curling Club was composed mostly of members
resident in the western side of East Kilbride Parish i.e. Thorntonhall and Busby.
A number of influential gentlemen in this area got together
and formed the Haremyres Curling Club
obtaining the lease of a site adjacent to the platform of Hairmyres Station
and the main East Kilbride to Eaglesham road
from Major Forrest of Haremyres
and Mrs Macaulay the tenant of Haremyres Farm.
It is interesting to note some of the business transacted at the
27th Annual General Meeting. of the Club in the Montgomerie Arms Hotel
Colonel Forrest was elected Patron.
William Strang of the Peel President.
Andrew Calderwood Vice-President.
George Warnock Secretary.
Warren Crosbie Treasurer.
Rev. William Jack M.A. Chaplain.
A committee called Directors, was also elected.
As had been the custom the President gave three prizes
and the Vice - President one prize to the winners of the Punch Bowl.
The President also intimated that he would give a special prize to the Club
to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Victoria.
The Directors to arrange the conditions of play.
It was agreed to send four rinks to the Grand Match at Carsbreck,
also a rink to the Scotland versus England match.
It is also interesting to note that the membership
consisted of 31 Regular and 34 Occasional players.
A debt of £13 having been incurred as a result of the repairs to the pond
was paid by Andrew Strang who had been Secretary.
The President announced that he had seen Mr Strang about this
and he had waived the debt to him owing to the lapse of time.
The Treasurer's statement showed a balance of £1 9s 9d
with 28 unpaid subscriptions. The subscription was five shillings.
The first inter-club game to be recorded
was with Eaglesham at Eaglesham on 8th February 1899,
when the Club won by 38 shots in a four rink game.
Over a number of years games were played against
East Kilbride, Dalziel, Carmunnock, Ruchazie,
Cathcart, Paisley Boreas and Thorniehill.
Before 1899 the Club had a predominant membership from East Kilbride.
The pond gave considerable trouble to the Club.
It needed repairs as the water was running out below the overflow pipe
and the brick wall was threatened, so two carts of heavy rubble were obtained
and were used to build up the rear of the wall at the overflow pipe.
At the same time it was "puddled" well with clay.
As was the custom it was resolved that the arrangements for the Annual Dinner,
be in the hands of the President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer.
At the Annual General Meeting on 12th September 1900,
it was resolved to approach the County Council
with a view to getting a supply of water for the pond during time of curling
and it was suggested that alterations be made to the pond,
an extension of the, dam-back further downstream
and the erection of a barbed wire fence round the pond.
The Pond Committee was to examine the project and report at a future meeting
on the probable cost.The committee met and approved of the proposition
but the latter was not implemented as there is no further record of it in the minutes.
At the Annual General Meeting in September 1902
it was intimated that the Patron Colonel Forrest,
thought that it would be to the Club's advantage to have a Patron
residing in the neighbourhood rather than in Edinburgh.
This was negatived. Also Colonel Forrest thought that the Punch Bowl
which he had donated to the Club would be pretty well filled with names very soon
and that some rule should be made to have it finally played for
and kept amongst the other Club trophies.
Messers Strang and Crosbie were deputed to communicate with Colonel Forrest
that the members wished him to continue as Patron
and that there was sufficient room for names on his handsome Punch Bowl.
It is worth noting that the first round for the Punch Bowl
was played on 9th December 1902, and the final on 13th January 1903.
The Grand Match at Carsbreck on 16th January, 1903, is referred to.
The Club played East Kilbride on the Crosshill Pond on 17th January,
Cathcart on 19th January and Eaglesham on 20th January,
winning all games handsomely.
There was no playing ice during seasons 1903-04, 1904-05 and 1905-06.
It is recorded that the points game was played on 7th February 1907
and was won by Christopher Strang of Duncanrig, who received a medal.
This is the first record of the points game having taken place
as the three previous points games are not recorded
but only mentioned at the presentation of prizes,
1898-99 John Baird, 1899-1900 John Hamilton and 1901-02 George Warnock.
In the International Match, Scotland versus England,
played on Castle Loch, Lochmaben on 8th February 1907,
the Club was represented by Archibald Shearer, Warren Crosbie, George Warnock
and Skip John Hamilton, they lost by six shots to No. 4 Rink London Caledonia.
At the Annual General Meeting of September 1908,
the financial statement showed a debit balance of Â£18 5s 8d
consisting of Â£2 10s to the Secretary, one year's rent of Â£6 to Mrs Macaulay
and Â£9 15s 8d to the Treasurer, Mr Crosbie.
A committee was appointed to uplift all arrears, receive any donations
and see Mrs Macaulay if the pond rent could be reduced.
The Crossmyloof Ice Rink having now been opened,
it was agreed to enter one rink in the Ice Rink Championship,
the committee to appoint players.
The small committee met and saw Mrs Macaulay
and a Special General Meeting was called on 8th November 1908,
at which they gave a report of arrears collected
and confirmed that the pond rent could not be reduced.
It was agreed that a levy be imposed on all the members
if sufficient arrears were not collected to meet the debt.
The Club played Larbert at Crossmyloof Ice Rink on 29th October 1909
for the Royal Caledonian Curling Club Medal and won by 20 shots.
The Punch Bowl was played for on 18th to 22nd November 1909
and it is assumed that this was at Crossmyloof since it was so early in the season.
There was still a deficit of Â£2 0s 9d but the amount of arrears
being Â£7 for the same period it was agreed to take the subscriptions
to pay off the debt to Mr Crosbie. It was proposed and seconded
that non-members playing on the ice be charged 1 shilling.
Mr Alex. Wilson of Busby intimated that he would give
a pair of curling stones and handles for the points game.
As was now the custom, the Club entered one rink
for the Club Championship at Crossmyloof.
Some members entered a rink privately for various competitions.
George Warnock's rink was third in the Kanderstag competition in 1910
and in 1912 it won the Masons versus Bowlers competition.
The 1912 Winning Rink Bowlers V Masons at Crossmyloof
Left to Right George Warnock A.B.Garroway Thomas B. Begg John Baird
The Grand Match North versus South, was played on 7th March 1911
at Crossmyloof when 414 rinks played.
This was the one and only time it was played in an indoor rink.
Haremyres lost by five shots over four rinks.
The Grand Match was again played at Carsbreck on 2nd February 1912
when the Club had a majority of 16 shots.
At the Annual General Meeting in September 1913,
it was reported that the Club had a credit balance of Â£1 10s 2d
with arrears of Â£5, all considered good.
It was proposed to enter two rinks
for the Glasgow versus Ayrshire match at Crossmyloof.
The 1914-1918 war now intervened
and no play for the Punch Bowl took place till season 1916-17
when this game was played at Hairmyres,
as was also a points game and an inter-club game with Eaglesham
which the Club won by five shots.
A special meeting was held on 24th October 1916,
to see what steps the Club could take
to guarantee aid to Crossmyloof Ice Rink during the war.
After discussion, 13 members agreed to be guarantor's to the sum of Â£67.
At the Annual General Meeting in October 1917,
it was agreed that the Club donate Â£5 to the local War Work Party.
At the Annual General Meeting in November 1918,
it was intimated that the Patron Colonel Peter Forrest had died
and it was agreed to ask his eldest son William, to fill the post.
This he agreed to.
A request was read from the "16 Curling Club"
some of whose members were also members of the Haremyres Club
for permission to play on Hairmyres Pond,
as the Crossmyloof Ice Rink was now closed.
This was agreed and the "16 Club" members thanked the Club
and hoped they would be able to take advantage of this gesture.
A medal known as the Consolation Medal was presented to the Club
by Mr Strang's father the late President of the Club,
in order to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Victoria.
As this medal was now completely filled,
it was agreed at the Annual General Meeting in 1919
to hand it over to the President as a keepsake and heirloom.
Mr Strang thanked the members for the kind thought
and said that he himself would present another medal
to be used as the Directors thought fit.
This new medal became known as the Haremyres Medal.
The Haremyres Club joined the Lanarkshire Province Curling Club in 1920.
The Lanark County Council having acquired Haremyres Estate
to build a hospital, now became the landlord of the pond area.
A letter was read from the Council to the effect that
the Club would have the use of the pond during the ensuing season
on the understanding that patients residing at the Institution,
also other persons authorised by the Council, could have the use of the pond.
The president had been selected to play skip against the Canadian Touring Team
at Edinburgh Ice Rink on 14th January 1921.
Incidentally the office of Patron was done away with
at the 1924 Annual General Meeting,
thus severing the connection with the Forrest family
which had been in existence since the formation of the Club.
As the pond was not freezing properly when there was frost,
it was thought that some effluent was getting in
and preventing the ice forming sufficiently to enable curling to take place.
No curling took place on the pond till February 1929,
when the Punch Bowl was played for.
At the Annual General Meeting in November 1927,
it was decided to lift any suitable curling stones lying at Hairmyres,
along with any other useful property of the Club,
and store them in Mr Garroway's premises at East Kilbride.
The following year Mr Garroway was instructed
to sell the stones on the best possible terms,
the money to go to the Club funds.
Mr Garroway did this and altogether Â£8 10s went to the Club funds.
A special meeting was held on 21st January 1929,
when the business was "the consideration of play at Crossmyloof".
A new company, The Scottish Ice Rink (1928) Ltd., had been formed
and had taken over the premises of the original Crossmyloof Ice Rink.
This gave greater facilities for curling
and the members unanimously agreed to use Crossmyloof for play.
The Secretary reported that he had booked two rinks there.
Mr Thomas Neilson proposed and Mr Arthur Gilmour seconded
that the old pond at Crosshill Auldhouse,
should be inspected with a view to playing there since it sat high
and would enable them to curl early on in the season.
It was agreed that the Pond Committee should look into this
and investigate the cost of the repairs.
After inspecting the site and reporting to the committee,
Mr Gilmour was instructed to see that the necessary alterations were carried out.
He guaranteed that the alterations would not exceed Â£25.
Unfortunately this pond was never played on.
The Grand Match was played on Carsbreck on 29th January 1929,
when Haremyres won by 31 shots.
The 58th Annual General Meeting held on 6th September 1929,
proved a momentous occasion in as much as it was proposed
by Mr Archibald G. Gilmour and seconded by Mr William Paterson
that the Club should amalgamate with the East Kilbride Club.
This was agreed upon unanimously,
the Club to be known as the East Kilbride and Haremyres Club.
At a special meeting on lst October 1929,
to consider the arrangements arrived at regarding ice booked at Crossmyloof,
the President said that six rinks had been booked
on Tuesday 8th October,to play from 4.15pm till 7.15pm
the Match Committee to make arrangements for further play.
Thomas B. Begg was appointed skip in the Scottish Ice Rink Championship
to be held in the New Year's week and authorised to pick his own rink.
The Match Committee arranged to have
the Punch Bowl and Medal played for at Crossmyloof
commencing on Tuesday 11th February, and every second Tuesday thereafter.
All games were to start at 4.15 pm
At a committee meeting on 9th January 1930,
it was decided to hold a Curlers Court on 7th February,
also a Curling Supper to celebrate the Centenary of the East Kilbride Club.
Tickets would cost 5s each.
This is the first mention of a court being held in the Club.
The court and supper was actually held on 30th January
when 24 curlers were "made" by Mr Peter Robertson of Dalmuir.
Mr Garroway the President, presided over a large audience.
At the Annual General Meeting in September 1930,
it was decided to join the Glasgow Province Curling Club
as a provincial member and to play in their competitions.
In the Glasgow versus Ayrshire match
the rink skipped by T. B. Begg was successful, being 23 shots up.
This was repeated in 1933 when Arthur Gilmour won by 28 shots up
At a committee meeting held on 23rd January 1931,
a letter was read from Mr James Gorrie
asking the committee to consider the forming of a tar-mac rink.
This was discussed at length
and the Secretary was instructed to see the Rev. J. G. Liddell
who was interested from a tennis point of view, and ascertain his opinion.
This project, which was to be in Graham Avenue, did not materialise.
In January 1932, the Club was very successful as the rink skipped by
Thomas Neilson won the Club Championship at Crossmyloof.
East Kilbride and Haremyres Curling Club
Scottish Club Champions 1931-32
A. McIlveen (Lead) I. Currie (Second)
T. Neilson (Skip) A. Gilmour (Third)
William Paterson was highest up rink in the Waldie Griffith Cup
which was won by the Lanarkshire Province.
East Kilbride and Haremyres Curling Club
Waldie Griffiths inter-Province Curling Match Winners 1932
A. McIlveen (Lead) R. Dickie (2nd)
W. Paterson (Skip). T. B. Begg (3rd)
and again in 1934 with a 17 shots majority, T. B. Begg being skip on this occasion.
The Club also won the Glasgow Province Bonspiel with A. B. Garroway
skip in the winning rink.
This win was repeated in 1934 with an average of 11 shots over three rinks.
T. B. Begg was skip of the highest up rink.
At a committee meeting held on 26th February 1935,
Mr Arthur Gilmour the President,
intimated that Mr Richard Dunn of Udston wished to present to the Club
the medal originally presented to the East Kilbride Club in 1858
by the then Patron Patrick Graham Barns Esq. of Limekilns
and which he had somehow obtained,
and that he would do so at the Curling Supper.
The medal was renamed the Dunn Medal.
This was first played for on 19th November 1935 and was won by
the rink skipped by Robert Aitkenhead
with James Barr James Mitchell and Hugh Begg.
At the Annual General Meeting held on 6th September 1935,
the President intimated that an anonymous donor would donate
a gift of four silver quaichs to the winners of the Dunn Medal.
Unfortunately this donation did not materialise.
January 1937 saw Thomas Neilson
again winning the Rink Championship at Crossmyloof
and he and Archibald G. Gilmour reached the final of the Open Pairs.
At the Annual General Meeting in September 1937
the Secretary was granted an honorarium of Â£4 4s.
This was the first time a Secretary had been so recognised.
The Club was again successful in winning the Glasgow Province Bonspiel
in February 1939 with an average of 18.5 shots over two rinks
skipped by Thomas Neilson and Robert Dickie.
Once again war intervened but the committee met in February 1940
and decided that as Crossmyloof was closed and no play possible,
the Punch Bowl, medals and books
should be deposited in the Clydesdale Bank for safe keeping.
The next Annual General Meeting was held on 28th June 1946 at the end
of the 1939-45 war and the Scottish Ice Rink was again open for play.
The Club won the Scottish Rink Championship in season 1946-47
the skips being Arthur Gilmour and Robert Dickie.
In July 1947, Hugh M. Neilson wrote to the Secretary
stating that he wished to donate a trophy
to the Avondale Heather and East Kilbride and Haremyres Clubs
for annual competition in memory of his father, the late Thomas Neilson.
The trophy was to be known as the Thomas Neilson Memorial Trophy.
Thomas Neilson was a prominent and beloved member of both clubs.
Certain agreeable conditions were laid down.
Two games were to be played at Crossmyloof, one in November and one in March,
and each game was to consist of six rinks.
The meeting unanimously accepted Mr Neilson's gift
and the Secretary was instructed to write and thank him.
At a committee meeting in November 1947, Andrew McIlveen intimated
that he was arranging a game of four rinks with John D. Brown of Biggar.
This was to be held at Crossmyloof and Edinburgh alternately
and a meal was to be had after the game.
An annual game was instituted with the Blantyre Club.
This was similar to the Biggar game but always to be played at Crossmyloof.
In December 1948, a letter was received from the Secretary of the Blantyre Club
intimating that William Walker Esq., had donated a trophy
for competition at the Annual Game which was being held on 15th January 1949.
The Secretary was instructed to thank the Blantyre secretary for his letter
and to write to Mr Walker personally expressing the Club's thanks.
After a great deal of discussion and debate it was agreed to hold
a Curlers Court at Crossmyloof on Thursday 11th November 1948.
The President Archibald G. Gilmour and the Secretary Hugh Begg
were to finalise the arrangements.
A dinner was arranged before the sitting of the court
when 51 members and 14 guest's attended.
Willie Filshie was My Lord, Archie Gilmour his officer
and Charlie Gray and Bill Stott his assistants.
Bob Harris acted as TheDoctor in case of accidents.
Thirty-eight candidates were initiated.
The East Kilbride members went home by bus.
An appeal was made by the British Legion, East Kilbride Parish Branch,
for funds to have the names of the fallen in the late war
put on the present memorial and it was agreed to donate Â£5.
From the season 1948-49 the competitions were played on the league principle.
This gave each player more games although more curling was required.
An inter-club game was initiated with the Hamilton and Thorniehill Club.
The Club won by two shots
and the Hamilton president, William Robertson-Aikman Esq.
presented a prize to the highest rink
and said he would give a trophy for annual competition between the clubs.
In the Secretary's Report at the Annual General Meeting on 27th April 1950,
it was stated that 18 of the members had the pleasure of playing against
and giving hospitality to the Canadian Touring Team of Curlers
during January and February.
Six members played in the Test Matches for the Strathcona Cup
which Scotland retained.
At this time a discussion took place about the Club's competitions
and it was proposed to have
the Punch Bowl and Dunn Medal run on the knock-out principle
but a counterproposal was tabled for the status quo.
After a vote the motion was carried.
This was reverted to the following year
when the competitions were played on the league principle.
The idea of the Club having an official badge had been mooted for some time
and the Secretary submitted an idea of his own which was drawn by A. J. Eustace.
This was adopted and the committee agreed to order 200
with one for the President and 12 for Ex-Presidents.
A team from the United States of America visited Scotland in January 1952
and five members represented the Club.
During the season 1952-53 the Club played five inter-parish games and won four.
Biggar was the only game lost.
The Club won the Thomas Neilson Trophy for the first time.
The Lanarkshire Bonspiel was also won for the first time.
The new Bonspiel at Crossmyloof, known as the "Coronation Bonspiel",
was instituted by one of our members, Archibald G. Gilmour,
on behalf of the Scottish Ice Rink Club.
It was agreed to enter three rinks for this and a fourth if necessary,
but only two rinks were accepted owing to the popularity of the entry.
The Club donated Â£3 to the East Kilbride Coronation celebrations
and Â£1 to each of the Auldhouse and Jackton committees.
A committee meeting unique in the curling world
took place on board the pleasure steamer "Maid of Argyll"
during the run from Craigendoran to Rothesay on 26th August 1954.
This was on the occasion of the annual outing of the East Kilbride Open
Cattle Show Society and the East Kilbride Branch of the National Farmers' Union.
As the Secretary had received the allocation of ice from the Scottish
Ice Rink Company at Crossmyloof, he was anxious to have the members notified
and as most members of the committee were present on the ship
full advantage was taken. Len Hamilton, the Vice-President, presided.
It was agreed also that a new clause be inserted with the notice
about the ice allocation, asking for names for the various competitions
and inviting ladies to become members of the Club
as had been agreed at the Annual General Meeting on 26th April, 1954.
The order of play in the Dunn Medal was altered, making the Club skips play lead.
This gave the third players the chance to skip and gain some experience.
At the Annual General Meeting in April 1956,
the Club recognised the services of the Secretary, Hugh Begg,
after 10 years during which time the Club had had some very successful seasons.
In January 1957, a team from Scotland went to Canada
to play, amongst other competitions, for the Strathcona Cup
and included in this team were President J. Cassels Pinkerton and Arthur Frame.
A visit from the "Flying Canadian Curlers- to Scotland took place at this time
and Allan Steel represented the Club in one game.
On 23rd April 1958, a Supper and Presentation of Prizes took place
when the President of the Royal Caledonian Curling Club,
Brigadier J. H. W. Gow, and Mrs Gow, were the principal guests.
As a pairs game had been played for a number of years with no incentive trophy,
Robert Dickie very kindly donated a cup.
The Grand Match, North versus South,
was played on Loch Leven on 27th January 1959,
when the Club was represented by two rinks.
The rink entered by the Club in the Royal Caledonian Curling Club Championship
and skipped by Hugh Begg lost in the final to J. Hutchison of Kirkmabreck.
Again the Club was well represented when a Canadian team visited Scotland,
13 players taking part.
A happy occasion took place at the Dinner-Dance on 26th April 1961.
As Robert Dickie, the senior member, and Mrs Dickie
were celebrating their Golden Wedding on 27th April, the members
presented them with a miniature granite curling stone suitably inscribed.
At the Annual General Meeting, also in April,
Hugh Begg intimated his resignation as Secretary and Allan Steel was appointed.
Hugh received a token of appreciation for his services.
During the next two years the Club functioned with nothing untoward happening
and the various competitions taken part in with even greater enthusiasm.
For the season 1963-64 it was agreed to draw up all competitions at once
and have a syllabus printed so that members could have it with them at all times.
In November, 1963, a letter was received from the Scottish Ice Rink Club
regarding a loan or donation to raise funds to try and
retain the Crossmyloof Ice Rink for curling as there was
a danger of a take-over and curling would be lost for ever.
After discussion it was agreed to donate Â£20. The Ice Rink did change hands
but curling was continued, thanks to the fight put up by the original Scottish Ice Rink Club.
The question of the donation of Â£20 to the Scottish Ice Rink Club was raised at the Annual General Meeting of 1964
but was fully answered by the President who had quite a lot to do with the negotiations.
As the Club had a few rinks left after playing all the competitions
it was agreed to have a points competition and this was held over two rinks 27 players participating.
The season 1964-65 was a very successful one for the Club as its representatives won
the International Trophy, the Harrogate, the Frame, the Cuthbert,
the Neilson and the Walker Chalice.
East Kilbride and Haremyres Curling Club 1964 1965
Winners of the Harrogate Trophy
The Frame Trophy The Neilson Trophy
and the Waldie Griffiths
L. Hamilton R. Borland A. Bryson W. Strang R. Wiseman
J. Craig G.M. Gilmour
At a committee meeting in January 1966,
the question of a Constitution for the Club was brought up and discussed.
It was ultimately left over so that similar constitutions could be studied.
This was implemented at a meeting in March. A Constitution was agreed upon
and finally ratified at the Annual General Meeting in April 1966.
An ice rink having been built at Hamilton in 1967 "The Lanarkshire Ice Rink"
a letter was received in April asking the Club to apply for ice. This was discussed
and it was decided to ask for 20 sheets for curling in the coming season.
A league game was instituted at Hamilton and the Club
agreed to enter a rink and a ladies' rink in the Ladies' League.
At a meeting early in 1968 the question of space on the Punch Bowl
for winners' names was discussed as all the available space had been used.
It was agreed to get advice from T. S. Cuthbert, jeweller,
as to how this could best be accomplished.
The advice was given and a wooden plinth was made to take the four knobs
in the base-plate of the Bowl and a silver plate on all four sides
to take the winners names.
Club was greatly indebted to Robert Dickie and Mr and Mrs Arthur Rae
for meeting the cost of this alteration.
They were thanked at the Annual General Meeting in April.
At this meeting the Secretary, Allan Steel, intimated his resignation.
Allan was thanked for his sterling work during the past seven years.
In appreciation, he received a wallet of notes and Mrs. Steel a gold brooch.
Andrew Bryson was appointed Secretary.
It was also intimated that Arthur Frame, a member of some years' standing,
had, along with his sister, Miss Nan Frame,
presented a salver to be competed for annually in a points competition.
This was to be known as the Duneaton Salver.
It was felt by many members that a "Ladies' Section should be formed
in the Club now that so many ladies were members
but who did not get much curling other than in the Club's competitions.
To this end a meeting was called at the home of Mrs. R. Hinshalwood, Kirkton Mains.
Sixteen members attended, with the President, James Craig, in the chair.
Accordingly it was agreed to form a Ladies' Section since they had the support of 27 ladies.
The Chairman then withdrew and the ladies formed their own committee with
Mrs. James Craig as Chairwoman and Mrs. Hinshalwood as Secretary.
It was agreed to book one sheet of ice per week at Hamilton.
To encourage the Ladies' Section Mr and Mrs Len Hamilton presented the Club
with a silver rosebowl to be played for annually by rinks on the league principle
and to be known as the Hamilton Rosebowl.
This was won by the rink skipped by Mrs. A. L. Scott.
A request that the Club trophies should be valued at present day values was carried.
As a result, the Punch Bowl was valued at Â£250;
the Dunn Medal, Â£50; the Robert Dickie Trophy, Â£60; the Duneaton Salver, Â£75.
The new premium for insurance was Â£3 5s.
In the Coronation Bonspiel held annually at Crossmyloof
the rink skipped by James Craig was successful.
The rink included Andrew Bryson, William Allison and Allan Steel.
This was no mean feat as the Coronation Bonspiel
is the major competition at Crossmyloof.
The Coronation Cup and winners Andrew Bryson, William Allison, Allan Steel and Jim Craig
Hugh Begg author of this history
with some of the club trophys
East Kilbride Club History
Haremyres Club Minute Book No.3
Index to site contents
Last Update To This Page 15th July 2009
©East Kilbride and Haremyres Curling Club 2005